Thursday, July 13, 2006

New House


Nearly two weeks ago, my wife, Davina, and I moved into a new house. This is the fourth place we have lived in our six years of marriage and the second house we've actually owned. It seems we're making normal, if not, good progress when it comes to gradually up sizing our living arrangements. And I guess that's good. But the only problem is that I really, really hate moving...and packing and unpacking and sorting and throwing things away and wrestling with our old king size mattress which was then placed on top of my jeep and taken to goodwill. I also hate the details of moving. You know, like unscrewing the curtain rods, remembering to get the vacuum cleaner, the dog house, extension cords, and everything else that's been shoved in the back of a closet. But we made it...we even suprisingly made it with no nostalgic feelings of guilt or sadness for our old house.

We moved into our first real house in March of 2003. We stayed there just over three years. It was a nice three bedroom house with a backyard for the dog which soon became dogs. Our first house with a garage, so that was nice. We had a guest bedroom we rarely used and an office and then the master bedroom. It was nice. Nothing special, just nice. Great neighborhood that had a pond in the middle of it that I would let my dog swim in most times we took him walking. We decorated for Christmas every year and every year I put lights on the pitch of the roof above the garage while Davina held the ladder, which seemed to always move.

Our new house is bigger, nicer overall. We have a big deck on the back of the house that overlooks the back part of the subdivision since we're on a hill. I'll be able to see the train when it rolls by in the winter once the leaves have fallen off the trees. We have three bedrooms and an upstairs bonus room which I have claimed as my rec room/office (but mainly rec room). It still doesn't quite feel like home yet...it feels too nice to be home. It'll have to be broken in, lived in a little before it can feel like home. But it is nice. It'll also be nice to have the extra room in a few months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home