Monday, August 27, 2012

First day of school

I don't remember my first day of kindergarten.  I've tried to in the last several days, to try and ease Jordan's mind about her first day, but I couldn't come up with anything.  I think my parents took me or maybe it was my grandparents.  I don't know for sure.  It's funny how such a big milestone just sort of sinks to the back of your brain and gets buried under other memories and events you experience as you grow older.  I'm sure the same thing will happen to Jordan over the years.  She won't remember how nervous she was or who she sat beside at her table today or that her mom and I were the only parents that cried when we left.

My dad asked me how it went when we dropped Jordan off at her class and I told him that Jordan was fine, but Davina and I were the ones that were upset.  It was quite similar to the first day we dropped her off at daycare when she was six months old.  We both cried and the day was miserable.  The big difference this time is that Davina went to work and I went back to the hotel that I stay in when I come to visit Jordan in Texas.  Davina and I won't be meeting for lunch today like we did five years ago.  We won't text back and forth to check on each other like we did five years ago.  She'll go to work. I'll kill time until I pick up Jordan from school and then I'll drop her off with Davina and I'll drive eight hours back to Tennessee.

I know Jordan will be fine after a few weeks at a new school.  She'll get to know her classmates and I'll hear stories about her friends and who she wants to marry.  And life will continue to progress for her and she'll have conquered a new challenge and it will have made her more resilient.  I wish the same were true for me.

  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home